Targeting safer roads
Over the past 50 years, road safety regulations and investments in infrastructure have led to a drastic reduction in deaths on departmental roads. In order to go further in risk prevention, it appears necessary to renew road safety policy by linking the localities and regions with private partners and to pay more attention to support from citizens.
As a "Road as a Service" player, Mobility by Colas has developed ANAIS, a digital tool for optimised and preventive infrastructure management by identifying near-accident zones or anormal deterioration of the road surface. An optimisation of the efficiency of interventions by targeting investment at the right places, at the right time and with the right solution.
Objectives of ANAIS:
Road safety issues:
- Accidents stagnating for 10 years
- Mainly due to user behaviour
- Infrastructure improvements can compensate for user failures
Challenges of mastering the value chain around the road:
- Secure alert areas through better network knowledge
- Priority preventive over remedial action
- Prepare the management profession for a global and integrated wealth vision
- Focus public action on strategic choices and not on the technologies to be used
Financial and organizational issues:
- Decrease in investments and operating expenses of communities
- Political will to measure and objectify the impact of investments and work carried out
- Need for business coordination for optimized wealth management
- Reintegrating community agents into the decision-making chain
3 essential features
User training and support
- Initial and ongoing education to ensure the tool is used properly.
- Local technical and business support.
Assistance with pre-analysis of warning zones
- Monthly reports showing new zones detected and a pre-analysis of the most critical zones.
- Road Safety Indicator to priorities zones to be treated and monitor organisational efficiency.
Monitoring of preventively developed zones
- Integrating key behavioural information into road network safety management.
- Comparing the behaviour before/after the manager's intervention.
ANAIS and its CSR impact
Through its ANAIS offer, Mobility by Colas responds to environmental challenges through various CSR impacts:
- Participate in improving road safety, by identifying near miss areas and proposing appropriate recommendations to ensure greater safety on the roads
- Adapting the infrastructure to support the evolution of real uses
- Support the road manager in analyzing the relevance of the work carried out on the infrastructure
- Better anticipate and target preventive maintenance operations, by capitalizing on existing trips
- Involving road users to improve driving conditions, land use planning
With ANAIS, you can work together with citizens in your area to prevent future accidents! Further information about the ANAIS service in the References/Videos section